Thursday, July 8, 2010

Update July 8

Ugh . . . I can't believe I've been blogging for 20 days! One more day and it's supposed to be a habit. I guess I better stop!

Who am I kidding? This is the best way for me to get any and all frustrations out on this house, and you, dear reader, have signed up for the abuse. Having second thoughts? I don't blame you.

A couple of observations tonight as I down my Wink Citrus Soda and type . . .

I think, upon a discovery when pulling up hardwoods, that if you sweep dirt back and forth on your plank floor long enough, the dirt will disappear and you'll never need a whisk broom and pan again. Why, you ask? Upon removal of said hardwoods, there is quite the layer of dust/brown dirt under the boards! There should be just black tar paper and some wood fragments, or even sawdust. Instead, there is fine, feathery, filtered dust. The kind that when you blow your nose at night, you're extremely thankful and blessed that your mucus membranes are working. So my theory is, that dust comes from the cracks between the hardwood planks, so if you just sweep your dirt/dust back and forth enough times, it'll "magically disappear". If someone tries it, let me know how that turns out.

My other observation is that I think finger muscles actually CAN be developed, and if you're like me and are VERY one-handed (not ambidextrous like my blessed hubby), then eventually, with enough rehab work, your one-handed side will be built up and beefy, while your other hand continues to be diminutive and delicate. I swear it's not just water retention. I honestly think the muscles along each finger are beefing up (how can they not, with the sheer amount of discomfort I feel every night when I'm typing) my whole hand to the point that I will never be able to be a hand model because I'll have mismatched hands (hey--where did you get that beefy hand?)

I wonder if my arm, wrist, fingers, thumb and generally the right side of my body will finally quit hurting if I keep working, or is the pain something that ends only after the work does?

Pulled up the rest of the hardwoods in the kitchen area and discovered a system of getting all the old, wicked nails out of the salvaged boards, which took most of the afternoon. We're hoping to re-use most of these elsewhere, either in the kitchen again, our bedroom, a treehouse, a yacht . . . somewhere. I still have more boards to do, but the pile is finally dwindling. It's about 60 sq ft or so of boards, with a wicked 1963-type hardwood serrated nail every foot or so on each linear board, so you can do the math.

Rich got there and sawed the last few stubborn pieces out of there. Started putting tar paper down, putting the first sill plate down on the entry hall wall to the kitchen. Then worked on getting one of the French doors down to the dance hall, where a wall will be taking its place. We've got our friend Darron coming in on Monday to plumb for our gas stove (YAY!!!!), so we have a have a wall in place for him to do so. Gotta plow through, to make sure it's ready. Looks like we'll make it at this pace, as long as we don't hit an "uh-oh" snag. Apparently, we've now got an army (of one?) praying against any more "uh-ohs", so hopefully that will guard against evil. We've only got about 5 weeks left and a TON to do.

And move.

Anyone reading this in the area going to be around the first weekend in August? We'll need help moving if you're so inclined! Luckily, it's from a ground level apartment (with one step at the curb, if you can count that) and three brick steps up the porch on the house and that's it. No evil 3rd or even 2nd floor this time! We'll have to craft a plea for our friends to help us this time. I think we'll need it.

Tomorrow I actually have to work--escorting out-of-town clients around Cary, looking for houses in a particular school district. I am SO glad I have to work. It saves me from a full day of Crestview . . . I'll just have to work the evening shift this time! And I get to spend the day in girl clothes instead of ragged shorts and ratty t-shirts that say "So what part of Ya'll Don't You Understand?"

Off to ice the hand.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please talk some sense into us: