Sunday, July 25, 2010

Update July 24-25

So funny thing about jobs . . . they're getting in the way of us getting the house done on time, yet we need them so we can pay for these renos. What a dilemma! So that's where Rich has been most of the weekend, and I've been all day yesterday (and doing laundry and errands) and this morning, when it was only up to 105 heat index. Then I went to the house.

After tomorrow, you can probably just start calling me Miss Grouty Pants.

Let me 'splain . . .

When tiling, you must trowel on a specific amount of adhesive mortar on the tile backerboard. To ensure a good tight hold with the tile, you should (and I do) "back butter" the tile. That involves putting another layer of mortar on the back of the tile, with the trowel divets (like little sharks' teeth) (creating a lengthy "Jaws" like shark bite . . . no, that's wrong) going in the perpendicular way from the pattern you've created with the trowel on the backerboard. That way, the patterns criss cross when twisting the tile into place, and God help you if you want to take it down after that! Good adhesion.

What's frustrating about back buttering is the fact that you get grout all over your hands, gloves, and any other surface. I hate it on my hands, so I kept a bunch of paper towels around to wipe the tiles, the trowel, and my hands. After a while, it's hard to find a dry, clear spot on a white paper towel when you're wiping off white mortar. So I started wiping it on my pants, which are grey, so I know where my fingers have been (okay, that sounded funny). So by the end of tonight, the second day of tiling, my shorts are covered in small streaks of mortar. Grouty pants.

When Rich got off work, he worked on some stuff in the house, while also being my part-time tiling bitch. "Farm Boy, go fetch me a tile with a 1 inch square cut out of the middle?" "As you wish". (Only the keenest of you readers will understand the reference . . . and no ROUS's)

Tomorrow should be my last day tiling the shower. I've finally reached the fun part--the listello pattern and mosaic glass tiles. Very pretty!! After I do the shower, then I start the floor. All while waiting for the electrical inspector that never came on Friday. Please pray he comes on Monday . . . we can't keep losing days waiting for him!

Off to shower and eat again . . .

1 comment:

Please talk some sense into us: