Tired. So tired.
Rich got very little sleep overnight, and then he had to work a full day at his paying job. By the time he got home, he basically collapsed. I guess our bodies don't agree with our minds and ambition about things. Even our muscles lining our finger bones are tired. Mousing at a computer for most of the year doesn't really prepare us for the weekend/week warrior bit.
I got more sleep than he did, so I headed to the house for a while. Went to HD to pick up a few things, and then went to work on the house. Bought spray foam insulation for around the kitchen window. I'm pretty sure that when they installed "new" windows 20 years ago, they didn't bother insulating any of them. Argh. Sprayed the foam and watched it grow. Hopefully, it'll keep some of the bugs out.
Then went to work on the floor for the guest bath. Put down tar paper, then started laying 1/2" concrete board. I'll probably have to lay down at least one more layer of that, just to build back up to the toilet flange. I guess more subflooring is cheaper than hiring a plumber to break the stack and shorten the toilet flange. :o(
Rewarded myself by laying out tile on the floor to get an idea of what I'm in for. Believe it or not, I LOVE laying tile . . . I've done lots of easy jobs, now I'm gonna have to work at a much more complicated job. The bathroom floor is an "L" shape, and I wanted to do a border around the perimeter of the floor, and then lay in a pattern of field tile called keystone in the center. The problem is, the keystone pattern doesn't have a straight edge, it has tiles on the diagonal, so now I have to figure out how to marry the diagonal tiles next to straight tiles. I'm not sure if that means I'll just ditch the border tile altogether and just do field tile, or not.
I also discovered in the dry fit that the tub is not completely perpendicular to the entrance/hallway of the bathroom (of course, why would it?). So if I lay tile parallel to the tub, it looks slanted from the hallway. If I lay it parallel to the hallway/entrance threshold, then it looks slanted to the tub. So now I know I'll have to do something halfway between to optically balance it out, which means my border tiles won't be totally perfect rectangles . . . more like rhombuses. So do I want that challenge on myself? If you ask me today, that would be a "no". I have to wait until I'm less tired to see if I change my mind.
Today's probably not much of a day for working. Rich has an appt tonight, and I have an appt this afternoon, and I'm really tired of taking at least 2 showers a day. And the apartment is starting to look pretty scummy, so maybe I finally have to clean it, and leave the house alone for a day. We'll see.
No comments:
Post a Comment
Please talk some sense into us: