Thursday, July 29, 2010

Update July 28

Woke up at 3 am with a splitting migraine. Crawled to the couch, dosed up on Percocet, Flexirl and some Advil, and food to keep it all down. Waited for daylight.

Once Rich got up, we tested the head and I decided a cocktail of half a Percocet, some ibuprofen, Zofran for the nausea associated with Percocet and movement combined, sunglasses, and Rich driving might at least get me to Lowe's to help him pick up the sheetrock that we needed. Simplicity!

Got to Lowe's, got the Sheetrock (or gypsum board, since technically Sheetrock is like Xerox or Kleenex--don't you love that I used to be a proofer, typesetter and minor editor, so I know just enough to be annoying?), rented a truck with drop down sides, got the boards into the garage, got the truck back to the store, picked up food, and went to the house. Every 3 hours I'd take another half Percocet to stay ahead of the pain, and joked that maybe Rich should do measuring and working with sharp objects like saws (what can I say? I'm a lightweight).

Sir Gimpy Dane, our friend who has now graduated off crutches (yay!!) came over and helped hang sheetrock as well. Knocked out most of the kitchen and some of the hallway. Rich had already worked on the laundry room, so we almost have a completely private half bath again in the master bath (until we close in the other side of the old shower-cum-laundry area, it still has cracks, but at least a little more visually private). Semi-private peeing is now available at this fine address.

Once my head became too foggy and I, too tired, I focused on getting the last of the mosaic tiles onto the floor in the guest bath while Rich tackled the Sheetrock elsewhere in the house (my Superman with big large muscles . . . making the Sheetrock his bitch). I had left gaps for each individual glass tile that I was going to lay separately, so I had to dig out all the old mortar for each "dot" and reset the tile, using a plastic butter knife to back-butter each tile (how appropriate, yet not tasty!). Today or tomorrow, with more daylight, I'll be pulling out any other tiles that may have gotten scratched in the laying process. Still have room edges and toilet flange edges to do, but may save those for after the sheetrocking gets installed in the bathroom, so I know how much I truly have to do. That bathroom is starting to look more like a real bathroom! I myself can see some irregular gaps, but hopefully no one else can. And if they do, please keep opinions to themselves!

Sir Gimpy Dane suggested that perhaps we don't want white grout with the tile on top of the vanity . . . we have to think about that one. I'm going to have to tile that and the laundry washing machine pan soon, so we have to decide on that as well.

Had to deal with a stolen credit card number this morning (thank God for USAA's fraud system--they canceled the card, reversed the charges, I'll get a new card in a couple of weeks), as well as all my clients that (shock!) want to see houses. I have an inspection this afternoon and the plumber is at the house right now, running pipe for the laundry pan. Rich'll be there tonight working, and I hope to join him unless a client writes an offer (Mama still needs a new shower!).

Off to join the human race . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please talk some sense into us: