Monday, August 16, 2010

Update August 16

It's like camping.

That's what I'm telling myself if I get frustrated. So far, not a problem, since I'm still celebrating getting away from Duct Tape Hippo and her Heavy Metal Minions. Even though I haven't slept through the night yet (Rich was right about the ghost vacuum syndrome), I know it's just a matter of time (or drugs) before I get a full night's sleep again. I cannot wait! I am enjoying the incredible silence, though. Even in Stepford it wasn't this quiet. And even with a fire station a block away, it doesn't really matter. Apparently, Brick Exterior, even without insulation, is far quieter than Fiber Cement with insulation. Good to know for future reference.

Thursday, Friday, Saturday were all a blur . . . working on the house intermittently with moving all of our crap. My Aunt Dot has joined St. Dane in the bringing of food. It was perfect timing! We were just trying to figure out what we'd do for a Light Dinner and Tomorrow's Breakfast when she rang the bell with ham sandwiches, deviled eggs, and Heaven's Delight from Trader Joe's. All of which were WONDERFUL. Sainthood becomes her, I must say!

We also had Drew and Kim help us last Sunday and Sara on Thursday . . . HUGE helps. This move was stressful, but a breeze compared to the move out of Stepford. Thanks to one and all for all your help!!! We could not have done it without you!!

Turned in the apartment keys by about 7:00 pm on Friday, with a shower under our belt and fussy cats in the back seat in cages. Got them deposited into their temporary room with litter boxes, food and Eli's "num-nums" (his hairball treatment that he will pin you down and slap you silly for if it's not delivered on time). Remarkably, within 24 hours, both wanted to explore and neither has shown much trauma except for Spatz's constant chatter. Non-stop, from the moment he wakes up, he's talking. We don't know if it's echo-locating or what, but we may have to bring out the water squirt bottle in a day or two to make the crying stop. He was doing it this morning so I cleared a sunny patch on a chair and held him down in it until he realized he liked it. Except a short stint of "cooling off" on the hardwoods, he hasn't left or peeped since. I think if I left the room, though, he'd follow. He's very social, even if he is a pain.

And Eli has done remarkably well with the move this time. He's walking around with his tail high, which is a great sign, as usually he's "white roaching it" down a hall, whole body held low to the ground including head and tail, scurrying, just trying to make it to the next hiding spot. This time, he's cautious, but still eating, and wants to explore a bit. Maybe they'll do okay after all?

Saturday I put in a lot of hours for actual work and Rich created some livable space in the house. We're camped out in the dance hall with the bed, TV, and kitchenette. It consists of table and etegere with pantry options, the microwave, toaster oven, a few dishes, the coffee maker. Outside we have the grill (Rich had to clear off cobwebs from it--a complete travesty; and we can't find the spatula yet), and we have a working fridge. Think "loft apartment"

Between the two bathrooms, we have one working and installed toilet (that leaks), a working sink and small countertop, and a GORGEOUS shower. I'm telling you, I don't want to brag, and I can see imperfections, but overall, I'm very pleased with the way the shower came out. It's beautiful!!!

And Sunday was a blissful day of doing NOTHING. We went to see Toy Story 3 and then just drove around, marveling at the idea that we didn't have to go to Lowe's, or do anything at the house for the day. We went and got fixings for dinner on the grill and then hung out and napped/watched TV for the rest of the day. It was glorious!

Our new vocabulary consists of "when was the last time you've seen . . . ?" or "do you know where . . .?" We're both already tired of saying it, but we're trying to give each other grace and just muddle through. Now that we've both had a day off, we're trying to stay motivated to work on the house more. The sooner we get the kitchen ready, the sooner we can have a normal life. But at the same time, rest is really quite lovely. I'm sure guilt will win out today at some point, but maybe I'll wait until after twelve noon today to start. It's less than an hour away anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please talk some sense into us: