I put the final coat of poly on the floors this morning. Last night, with two coats on it, the floors look fantastic. They still have imperfections, but it's really incredible what two coats of poly will do to mask things. We're actually getting a bit excited about how they look. Experience has taught us that the first coat of poly is not the most attractive coat, since it's a bit splotchy and sad as the wood soaks it in at various rates. By the third coat, everything should finally be about even.
I have discovered that to truly do the floors right with the coats of poly, you need to be wearing a hazmat suit freshly out of the autoclaved packaging, or you need to not have cats and shave your head before you start. No amount of brushing my hair, pulling it back tightly, avoiding cats, wearing freshly washed clothing or wiping the floors can seem to keep crap from landing in the final finish.
Boy our floors will have character.
Once this final coat dries, we'll have to excavate the cabinetry and do a thorough dust-removal. We draped everything in drop cloths to protect as much as we could, but inevitably, dust still gets on everything. Once we get all that removed, I think the kitchen will look lovely.
And finishing the floors will finally open the floodgates to being able to finish a lot in there, like the countertop trim, final coat of wall paint, floor trim in the kitchen and on any wall that wrapped around to the kitchen, and so on. Perhaps I can even inspire the hubby to finally make me some pullouts for the Pots & Pans cabinet, so I can finally unpack the last box of crap and get it all in there.
And then we may tackle the wall opening from the living room into the kitchen. As gorgeous as my kitchen is looking, it's still a fairly dark abyss of a hole from which all light seems unable to escape. With more natural light, I may like being in there more. And then we can finally decorate the living room the way we want . . .
No comments:
Post a Comment
Please talk some sense into us: