Monday, January 21, 2013

While in Denver . . . .

HW had to go to Denver for some work stuff, so it was a perfect opportunity to put down the tile I cut last weekend. I got all but two pieces down. I actually got those pieces down also, but they snapped when I was "pressing" them into place. Travertine is super-fickle and super-fragile, so I didn't coax those the way I should have, and boom, snap!

So I have to wait for another warm streak to cut two pieces of tile. But the rest are down. It's not a perfect job . . . they're not all perfectly level, although most registered level on the bubble in the level. It's just that some have to accommodate a bit of a slope to a threshold, or have to be even with other tiles that (I suspect) aren't cut exactly perfectly square or exactly perfectly thick. I doubt I will ever want to lay a travertine floor again. Zero fun. Walls: fun. Floors: 0 fun.

Funny how you spend a lot of time with an uneven floor, and you just get used to jumping from tile to tile, like Indiana Jones does in the opening scene of Raiders, when he has to step on the right stones to take him to the screaming face-idol, or else he gets speared by an arrow or ten. Luckily, I had the foresight not to booby trap my own bathroom. But it still felt the same.

Now that (almost) all the tiles are down, I still find myself doing that strange side-step walk. I wonder how long it will be before I get that out of my system.

Still tung-oiling the countertop. I've lost count of coats. In side-slanted light, you can really see the grain and there's a lot of shiny next to dull. I suspect that some of the wood has finally reached a saturation point and some of it hasn't. I hope we're getting close!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please talk some sense into us: