Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Tile, tile and more tile . . .

Have you ever concentrated so hard on thinking about laying tile that you turn on the shower water, get in, lather up with shampoo, and forget to actually wet your hair down first? I have.

Unlike tomorrow when we're actually supposed to see a couple of sleet pellets/snow flakes, this past weekend was a shocking 70 degrees F, so after showing property on Saturday, I blocked off my Sunday and cut the remaining tile for the bathroom floor. I know, I know, I should have finished by now, but some other pesky things have cropped up. And besides, cutting tile (with a wet saw, mind you) is only tolerable when you can actually feel your fingers (as opposed to cutting tile with what look like fingers, but in actuality are just floppy sausages that do not move with your mind, no matter how hard you concentrate). And, thanks to myself, I still have all 10 to enjoy.

Even with it being 70 degrees outside, water can still get cold in the saw in January. I think the water molecules must be set to "winter time" because they seem to get colder quicker. So I made sure I loaded up the saw with warm/hot water. Smart me. Between warm water and warm weather, we were in business. I only mistakenly snapped one tile. The rest cut like butter.

HW was starting to feel frisky, so to tamp down his enthusiasm, I asked him to pull up a couple of tiles I just wasn't happy with. We figured hernia surgery or not, that shouldn't be too taxing. Great news! When my tile goes down, it doesn't come back up. It wasn't going anywhere. Those suckers are there to stay. They're pretty permanent. Kudos to me that I can tile! Bad news: The tile didn't want to go anywhere. HW had to stop working because he was, after all, having to use ab muscles that weren't quite ready for that work. However, he stopped after he was able to pull up that pesky single tile, along with the thinset and the concrete board that it was attached to (forgive the grammar).

Henry's Feather Finish (concrete patch filler) is my best friend. It helped me with the height difference between the glass tile and the floor tile. And now it's helping me fill the hole down to the tar paper that HW created when he pulled up the canted tile. I'm waiting for it to dry as we speak.

Meanwhile, I'm on coat number 4 or 5 of the tung oil on the counter. Mean ol' Google won't let me post any pics. I tried to delete some old ones from the older parts of the blog to make room, but apparently, I was way over the limit already, so when I deleted them, not only did I not gain room, but Google got some of its MBs back and won't let me re-post the old pics. Sigh. You'll just have to trust me. It's looking really good.

Off to lay some tile while HW isn't walking around in there. I hope this is the last time. Until a volcano erupts and covers us in ash and preserves my excellent tile job for future generations/archeaologists to find.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please talk some sense into us: