Well, I truly have no idea when I last posted without going back through and then figuring out, based on calendar assessments, moon charts, cat insulin timing shots, the last blog posts, and Homewrecker's birthday when we last actually worked on the house. But it was recently, I swear.
Hit some roadblocks recently . . . we had decided to go with a store-bought dresser-turned-vanity and had finally decided on one that was fairly good, albeit a bit too fancy for us. But once we went to the store, and they said we HAD to accept shipping and delivery whether we wanted it or not, and once we tacked on ridiculous amounts of taxes, and then we'd spend another couple hundred on modifying it for our tastes, we realized that was out of the question. Although it would really save us time in the long run, it's hard to stomach $1000 total for a vanity. Geez, I just want some storage and a place to spit out my toothpaste, right?
So one of my pet peeves about vanities is the whole cabinet-door thing. Instead of having pull-out drawers galore so that when I pull them out, I can see EVERYTHING I put in there, from the beginning of time, we deal with cabinet doors with deep cavernous holes in them so the plumbing can take center stage. As a result, I stick something way back in the back relying on my ever-perfect memory to jog when I need it the next time, and poof! 3 years down the line, whatever it is is covered in whatever gets created in the back of a cabinet (wet dust? bug excrement?), and is usually expired, or out of fashion, but either way, I'm not touching THAT. In any event, I believe cabinet doors are used and designed by those that are lazy, uninspired, or have poor organizational skills and feel the need to challenge everyone else's. I can't stand them. So I want a vanity with lots of drawers. And NO cabinet doors.
This presents a bit of a problem because typically standardized drawer banks don't have drawers deep enough to accommodate my 10" can of hairspray or my 9.5" can of mousse, or my Industrial-Sized-BJs-Purchased-Because-You-Never-Want-To-Run-Out saline solution that gives the height of my hairspray and mousse can a run for their money. Sure, I could lay all these things down in a drawer (what I've been doing forever) or stand them up in a CABINET, but NO, I don't WANT to, and dammit, this is our bathroom!! So I'm designing a cabinet of drawers, from deep drawers, to drawers that will hold my hairdryer, hair straightener, and curling iron, along with drawers for my scrunchies and so on. As I read this, it occurs to me that, even though I have developed and devoted a ton of time with and on my hair, I'm fairly disappointed with the end result almost every day . . . is this all worth it?
Anyway, if I can stand things up, and store things correctly, it will actually save me a TON of space, (maybe it'll affect the outcome of the mop on my head every day for the positive?) so that's what we're doing. Homewrecker just says give him a couple of drawers. He could totally survive with 2 drawers, leaving me with everything else, mwhuaaaa, haaa haaa.
But I, of course, don't want a symmetrical vanity. Oh, no. That would be too easy and too quick. So HW is indulging me and we're building an asymmetrical vanity. It's gonna be awesome. If it ever gets done. I'm counting on the lack of working sink near the poo room to drive us over the edge and actually work on it. We lived like campers in our own house for 4 months before we had a kitchen. Who knows?
In addition to the whole vanity setback, we have pulled all the extra in-the-way flooring up and have realized that before I can start screwing down concrete backerboard and laying tile, we need to shore up a few more places in the floor so that it doesn't move later and crack the delicate travertine floor we're going to put down. We have also had to design a tile pattern that will mask the impressive "crowning" our flooring does transitioning from the original house to the addition that cannot be overcome by just "leveling the floor". Over the weekend, I figured out the tile pattern we're going to use, which will be awesome. And I also ran electrical wire everywhere I knew we'd need it, but didn't try to tackle the parts I don't know. Basically, I have power now to every box we need. HW just needs to get in there and run wire from the box to the lights and fans we're going to have. He has good ideas about where to run some things, so I'll wait on him for that. Once we get all the electrical done, we can finally sheetrock.
Speaking of, I have done some work in that arena as well, with mudding and taping the kitty litter closet, as well as 2 of the walls in our own closet. And I've marked the position of the can lights and where they need to be in each room. But I'm coming up on a stopping point where I really need HW to quit working and instead work on this already. Sometimes the 9 to 5s can really put a damper on a reno.
Luckily, work's slowed down a bit so I can be doing some of this on the side. I'm sure in a couple of weeks I'll start freaking out when I realize I only have one more closing after July, but God's been good to us so far with me working, so I'll just keep trusting He'll start filling that gap as well. It's been awesome to have a few days to focus on this, though! I needed the break!
Until next time . . .
No comments:
Post a Comment
Please talk some sense into us: